As an employee of our municipality, you will enjoy working as part of a team that enhances the quality of life for our citizens. We provide a great employment experience which leads to a great citizen experience. If you are passionate about our community, its people, and its future, join our team and we can work together for an even better City.
For our staff of approximately 175, work is primarily service driven and the roles are technical, professional, and operational in nature and provide service to citizens and businesses in our community. Local government provides an unparalleled environment to see your work transformed into a positive contribution to the everyday lives of our community members.
We are committed to collaboration, innovation, fiscal responsibility, respect, and integrity in all we do.
|Job Title||Type||Application Deadline||Salary|
|Police Officer LPS||Full-time||Open till filled|
|Roads Seasonal Labourers (PDF)||Temporary||March 30, 2023 @ 4:30 PM||$17.82 to $22.28 per hour|
The City of Lacombe also has a number of boards, commissions and committees, and this is a great way to get involved, network, and become known. Time Commitments vary.
To apply, email City of Lacombe a completed volunteer application (PDF).
|Volunteer Position||Number of Vacancies/Openings||Type||Application Deadline|
|Lacombe Affordable Housing Steering Committee (PDF)||2 Vacancies||2 Year Term||Open until filled|
|Arts Endowment Committee (PDF)||1 Vacancy & 1 opening as of April 15, 2023||3 Year Term||Open until filled|
|Downtown Area Development Plan Advisory Committee (PDF)||8 openings as of June 28, 2023||2 Year Term||Open until filled|
|Lacombe & District Recreation, Parks and Culture Board (PDF)||1 opening as of April 4, 2023||Term ending December 31, 2023||Open until filled|
|Heritage Resources Committee (PDF)||1 vacancy||Term ending December 31, 2025||Open until filled|
- Our Community
- What Our Community Has To Offer
- What Can You Expect?
- Opportunity For Growth
- Health and Safety
- How To Apply
- Tips for Applicants
The City of Lacombe is a friendly and warm community on the Highway 2 corridor. A beautiful city blessed with abundant trees, numerous ponds, and rolling hills mixes the relaxed atmosphere of small-town living with first-class amenities and green spaces.
In addition to our welcoming environment, in 2019, Lacombe residents ranked highest in personal giving to charities for the 6th year in a row, making us one of the most generous communities in Canada.
Lacombe ranks high in being one of the Best places to live in Canada. We have made the top 10 best places to live on two occasions, and in 2018, we ranked 5th.
Rich with history and heritage, Lacombe proudly boasts a unique downtown, which features Edwardian architecture that is literally the envy of the country. In 2014, Lacombe’s main street was named the best by the Great Places in Canada competition.
With an artistic and vibrant flare, Lacombe presents some of the most talented and award-winning musicians and artists in all of Canada. Cultural events are well attended and community involvement in the arts is cultivated across generations. Health and wellness are supported by a fully functioning hospital and long-term care facilities. Adding to stability is Lacombe’s municipal police department that has been in service for more than 100 years.
Promoting learning, Lacombe has seven elementary and middle schools, one high school, and four private schools. Lacombe is also home to Burman University which has a global reach and offers bachelor's degree programs in Arts, Music, Science, and Education. Housing a federal research center and two provincial research centers define Lacombe as an important agricultural hub in the Province. The Lacombe Memorial Centre is the cultural hub in the community and is home to Mary C. Moore Public Library.
Serving as a community that celebrates the many different flavors and tastes of life, Lacombe values fun and family. Optimally situated by nearby Gull Lake and Aspen Lake Provincial Park, as well as a number of memorable attractions, affords residents many leisure opportunities. Lacombe has one of the first interconnected mural themes in Canada. Local muralists have painted a total of 34 murals around the City. These murals are a treasure trove of recreated scenes of the past.
For information on all, we have to offer we invite you to visit www.lacombetourism.com.
In exchange for your contribution and hard work, the City provides competitive salaries and wage rates, a comprehensive benefits package, and an excellent, stable retirement income. Part of the City’s total compensation package includes family-focused group benefits packages for eligible employees.
Our recognition program acknowledges and appreciates the achievements of our employees and provides the opportunity for colleagues to join in the celebration. Health and wellness initiatives support the wellbeing of our employees and their family members.
There are many opportunities for career growth and advancement at the City of Lacombe. We offer opportunities for continued growth and development, including:
- Ongoing training and development to support continuous learning in technical skills as well as areas of interest and education for future roles, health and safety, and much more;
- Tuition reimbursement program for eligible employees;
- A Succession Plan is currently in the development phase to provide City employees the opportunity to prepare themselves for anticipated future opportunities.
At the City of Lacombe, the health and safety of our employees is a top priority. A key aspect of great employment experience is a strong, shared commitment to workplace health and safety. We are committed to accident and illness prevention through the integration of health and safety considerations into all planning, operations, and department activities. We have many health and safety programs and initiatives for the continuous improvement of safety in our workplace, including:
- Joint health and safety committees;
- Ergonomic assessments;
- Injury/illness prevention, support and return to work programs;
- Reimbursement for safety footwear;
- Health and safety training.
Apply by Email
- Make sure your resume, cover letter, and email all include the employment opportunity identification number and the job title of the position for which you are applying.
- Make sure your resume and cover letter are compatible with Microsoft Word, or Adobe Acrobat (PDF).
- Use standard fonts such as Times New Roman or Arial to ensure your resume is viewed in its original layout.
- Attach your cover letter and resume to an email message and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Links to resumes are not accepted (For example SkyDrive, One Drive, Google Drive).
Due to the nature of internet email, we cannot guarantee the successful delivery of email or the exact time it will be delivered. When we receive your email, you will receive a response.
Apply by Mail or In Person
- Make sure that your resume, cover letter and all correspondence include the employment opportunity identification number and the job title of the position for which you are applying.
- Send your resume by mail or hand delivery to the human resources department at City Hall.
We thank all candidates for their interest in our City and employment opportunities, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
BE CLEAR AND CONCISE
- Keep it specific, clear and concise.
- Use active language and avoid the first person.
- Avoid spelling and grammatical errors.
TAILOR TO THE POSITION
- Tailor content to the position.
- Use key words from the job posting.
Cover Letter Writing
WRITE FOR THE AUDIENCE
- Feature skill set and how it could benefit the City.
- Use key words from the job posting.
- Express personal motivation and enthusiasm.
- Highlight relevant skills applicable to the position.
- Complement rather than repeat the resumé.
PREPARE FOR THE INTERVIEW
- Review the City of Lacombe website.
- Take a tour of the city of Lacombe.
- Practice interviewing.
BE AUTHENTIC DURING THE INTERVIEW
- Be authentic and natural.
- Use the STAR method: Situation, Task , Action and Result.
- Listen carefully and answer the questions.
- Clarify aspects of the position.