Planning on running in the 2021 Municipal Election? Lived in Lacombe since on or before March 20, 2021? (at least six months preceding September 20). This is a good place to start with important information and resources below.
The term of office for all elected candidates is four years.
The positions of the Mayor and Council at the City of Lacombe are “at-large” positions, which means that each individual elected represents Lacombe as a whole (rather than a particular section of the City). From the candidates running, One (1) Mayor and six (6) Councillors are elected by over 11,000 eligible voters.
Potential candidates can familiarize themselves with the role by speaking to members of Council or Administration, by spending time reading Council minutes and agendas, and by reviewing the City website.
Potential candidates sometimes attend Council meetings, as do members of the public. See the Council meeting schedule (PDF).
Reference Information for Potential Candidates
- Running for Municipal Office in Alberta - A Candidate’s Guide (PDF)
- Form 4 Nomination Paper and Candidates Acceptance (PDF)
- Form 5 Candidate Information (PDF)
- Form 11 Enumerator, Candidate or Official Agent Proof of Identification for Section 52 Access (PDF)
- Form 12 Campaign Worker Proof of Identification (PDF)
- City of Lacombe Employee Code of Ethics and Conduct Policy (PDF)
- Council Code of Conduct Bylaw (PDF)
- Local Authorities Election Act (PDF)
- Municipal Government Act (PDF)
- City of Lacombe Council Remuneration Policy (PDF)
- 2019 Financial Statements - City of Lacombe (PDF)
- Alberta Municipal Affairs
- Now that You’ve Been Elected (PDF)
- Roles and responsibilities of municipal officials https://www.alberta.ca/roles-and-responsibilities-of-municipal-officials.aspx
- Pecuniary Interest for Municipal Councillors https://open.alberta.ca/publications/9781460132494
- What every Councillor Needs to Know! https://open.alberta.ca/publications/9781460136324
Web Links for:
- City of Lacombe - www.lacombe.ca
- Lacombe Police Commission - https://lacombepolicecommission.com/
- Alberta Urban Municipalities Association - www.auma.ca
- Alberta Municipal Affairs - https://www.alberta.ca/municipal-affairs.aspx
Use of City Logo in Election Campaign is Prohibited.
Forms related to Campaign/Candidates
- Form 26 Campaign Disclosure Statement and Financial Statement (PDF)
- Form 16 Statement of Scrutineer or Official Agent
- Senate Referendum - https://www.elections.ab.ca/elections/senate-referendum/
- Resources: Fact Sheets - https://open.alberta.ca/publications/implementation-fact-sheets-local-authorities-election-act-2018-and-2020
Please note: *Information on this site provides an overview and is not a substitute for the detailed information contained in legislation. All candidates are responsible for ensuring they are aware of and understand the legislation and bylaws concerning elections, and the requirements for nomination.