Downtown Storefront Enhancement Program
The purpose of this pilot program is to encourage and provide businesses located within the Downtown Area Redevelopment Area with an opportunity to improve the appearance of their businesses, utilizing grant dollars, up to a maximum of $2,000.
The program provides an incentive for downtown business owners to invest in facade renovations and some interior upgrades. The improvements are intended to complement initiatives recommended within the Downtown Area Redevelopment Plan (DARP).
The program works with other revitalization initiatives to:
- Build local community and civic pride among the business community and citizens of Lacombe
- Contribute to the quality of life of residents, workers and visitors to the City Make the city shopping streets more inviting and interesting places to work and shop; and,
- Promote the viability of retail and commercial businesses Help building owners to attract and retain tenants
- Any business within the Downtown Area Redevelopment Plan Area may apply.
- The applicant must be either the property owner or a designated person who has the written authority from the owner to submit the application and/or so administer this project
- The buildings must be used primarily for retail and commercial purposes. The selection committee has some discretion to include projects that are institutional, non- profit and/or accommodate non-commercial uses that contribute to the activity on the commercial main street.
- The project must conform to the Program Design Standards
Successful projects will strive to make visible improvements to the appearance, design and function of a business by following the DARP Architectural Guidelines (PDF):
- Addressing winter conditions
- Coordinating facade improvements with neighbouring buildings and the unique character of the Old Town Main Street District
- Creating sidewalks or alleyways that are lively places filled with people Contributing to the safety on the street
- Exemplifying innovative and artistic design
- Exposing unique architectural details that have been hidden by previous attempts to modernize the facade
- Providing buildings that are accessible to pedestrians
- Striving for direct connection to pedestrians through the use of clear glass, and storefront designs that make use of window display areas
- Undertaking general cleaning of the building exterior and repainting faded and peeling paint
- Exterior architectural and/or artistic features
- Exterior walls
- Facade cleaning and painting
- Limited permanent interior improvements (reconfiguration of interior walls, display spaces and interior window finishes to enhance the function and display of the storefronts)
- Signage (provided it is compliance with the Land Use Bylaw)
The above list is not all-encompassing. Other improvements could be eligible if they meet the objectives of the program, comply with City development regulations. The Planning and Development department will be consulted to ensure proper compliance with the City of Lacombe’s Land Use Bylaw and Downtown Area Redevelopment Plan.
- Please fill out and submit the Downtown Storefront Enhancement Program Application Form by April 3, 2020. If all funds are not awarded, additional applications may be accepted after this deadline.
- Include the land title certificate. If the applicant is not the owner, please ensure the property owner authorization portion of the application form is completed.
- Submit ’Before’ photos of the property.
- Provide a project description and cost estimates.
- The project description will then be referred to the Downtown Storefront Enhancement Committee (DSEC) for evaluation and final approval. If there is still grant funding available after the review process is completed, subsequent applications will be accepted and evaluated on a first come, first serve basis.