The Lacombe Sports & Leisure Complex is undergoing significant renovation beginning April 11, 2016, and continuing through to January 22, 2017.
The renovations include:
- Much-needed safety improvements to meet current building codes
- Extensive main lobby renovations
- New/additional barrier-free washrooms
- New/additional team dressing rooms
- Widened hallways
- Swimming pool mechanical room expansion
In December 2015 Council approved an addition to the scope of work: four new, larger dressing rooms for user groups for Barnett Arena #1; a dedicated dressing room for a high-calibre sports team franchise based in Lacombe; and a widened hallway. The existing dressing rooms are to be re-purposed as storage rooms, two referee rooms, and two small dressing rooms.
The new dressing rooms, the concession, and the main floor and second floor washrooms are expected to open to the public during the week of December 5, 2016. The main doors are expected to open during the week of January 22, 2017. Renovation work on the hallway and existing dressing rooms will begin in 2017 after the peak arena season. The project is expected to wrap up by the summer of 2017.
Once complete, the refurbished facility will:
- Better serve all user groups
- Ensure that the facility - a major recreational hub in the region - meets the long-term needs of Lacombe and area residents
- Serve as home ice to the CHL Lacombe Generals - 2016 Allen Cup Champions
Above: The animated fly-through of the renovation is for illustrative purposes only. The colours and textures may not be as shown in the final layout. For instance, the skate sharpening kiosk will be located in Barnett Arena #1, not the main lobby as shown. We will update this section with the latest information as it becomes available.
- April 11, 2016: Start of construction - main lobby closed; temporary entrances in place
- Week of December 5: Main floor and upper floor washrooms complete, main floor lobby complete, dressing room additions complete
- Week of December 15: Upper floor lobby construction complete.
- Week of January 22: Main doors open
- Spring 2017: Existing dressing room renovations begin; hallway widening
- Summer 2017: Project complete
Renovation Information Hub
- Getting around during construction
- Renovation highlights
- Frequently Asked Questions
- RecRenos Updates and Notifications
Above: An artist's illustration of the renovated and expanded Lacombe Sports & Leisure Complex.