PUBLIC NOTICE:  City facilities are open to the public with the exception of the Gary Moe Auto Group Sportsplex. The Lacombe Memorial Centre is currently taking bookings and is open with limited access. See the What’s New tab on the home page for details on the Kinsmen Aquatic Centre and the Spray Park operations.


Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Subdivision approval is required when dividing a single parcel of land into two or more parcels. Each parcel is given a separate title that can be registered at Land Titles Office (LTO) in Edmonton. 

Subdivision may also include a boundary adjustment. There are a few exceptions, but for the most part, prior to a subdivision being registered at LTO, approval and endorsement of the tentative plan of subdivision must be given by the City.

The Subdivision Process Chart outlines the subdivision process. It  is intended to compliment information in the Municipal Government Act (MGA) and the Subdivision and Development Regulations. These two pieces of legislation specify the roles and responsibilities of the City when receiving and deciding on subdivision applications.

Applying for subdivision

  1. Before submitting a formal application, contact a Planner at (403) 782-1264 to discuss your proposed subdivision. There may be other processes such as a redesignation of land involved or they may advise you of existing land use plans or policies that may affect your application. The Planner receives and processes the applications and determines compliance to the City's land use plans and the Land Use Bylaw.
  2. Once a subdivision application is received, the Planner will provide a staff recommendation to the Subdivision Approving Authority (either the Municipal Planning Commission or the Chief Administrative Officer) prior to issuing a decision. Subdivision applications are not considered by Council. All decisions are subject to appeal through the Subdivision and Appeal Board. 
  3. As part of the subdivision approval, the landowner/developer may be required to enter into a development agreement with the City to address responsibilities for paying/constructing roads, trails, infrastructure extensions, and other areas of responsibility as required. 
  4. Applications to rezone land running in parallel with proposed subdivisions will not receive third reading until the application for subdivision is endorsed and a development agreement is signed.

Important documents