2020/2021 Capital Works Program sees significant road improvements
Lacombe, Alberta (May 27, 2020) – Council Monday approved six projects (three major and three minor) for rehabilitative construction and improvements in the 2020/2021 Capital Works Program, which goes from June 1 to October 31.
The projects include:
- Highway Street reconstruction between Dickens Lane and Heritage Drive (2020), and from Heritage Drive to 45 Street (2021).
- Brownstone Road reconstruction and storm and sewer rehabilitation; including removal of an underutilized parking lane to facilitate installation of a new sidewalk from Onyx Ave to 63 Street.
- Northstar Drive water, sewer and storm replacement including road reconstruction; sidewalk addition on Northstar Drive, between Carnation Road and Garden Road.
- Storm drainage improvements for 45A Street.
- Storm drainage improvements and re-paving of a portion of the alley between 50 Street and 51 Street.
- C&E Trail and 63 Avenue frost heave repair.
With the tendered cost for the projects coming in well under budget, there was an opportunity to move up significant portions of the Highway Street reconstruction project from 2021 to 2020. Council voted to advance the re-construction of Highway Street as proposed, and awarded the construction contract to Border Paving at a cost of $4,606,494 plus GST.
“Council is pleased to award this contract to Border Paving,” said Mayor Grant Creasey. “The ongoing investment in City road infrastructure maintenance is welcomed by residents. I am pleased to see the work undertaken by this reputable contractor, continuing a long-standing positive relationship.”
Council also directed City administration to enter into a contract with Stantec Consulting for project management, construction and post-construction engineering services at a cost of $330,192 plus GST, and with Parkland Geotechnical Consulting Ltd. for materials testing during construction at a cost of $59,490 plus GST.
Finally, Council accepted the modified cross section for Brownstone Road as proposed, and directed staff to proceed with the detailed design for the paving of Len Thompson Drive and 55 Avenue in the 2020/2021 Capital Works Program.
The total budget for the 2020/2021 Capital Works Program is $6.7 million, and with excellent tender pricing the two-year program is projected to be $1.3 million under budget. “The City is taking advantage of the highly competitive construction rates to complete a strategic project long identified by Council; the paving of Len Thompson Drive and 55 Avenue,” said Chief Administrative Officer Matthew Goudy.
Residents will be notified of upcoming road closures and detours on an ongoing basis through the media and the City’s official social media channels. If you have any questions or concerns about the 2020/2021 Capital Works Program, please contact Engineering Services at (403) 782-1259.