Police seize drugs, recover stolen firearm and ammo during vehicle stop
Lacombe, Alberta (January 5, 2018) - On January 3, 2018, at approximately 3 p.m, Lacombe Police Service members observed a suspicious vehicle parked in the Parkland Acres area in Lacombe. Two occupants were observed in the vehicle, and both were making attempts to avoid being detected by police.
When officers approached the vehicle and spoke with the driver, the driver could not give any valid reason to be parking at that location. Police had the driver and passenger exit the vehicle, whereupon a bag containing a white substance, believed to be a narcotic, was located.
Further investigation resulted in Police recovering a stolen firearm and ammunition from inside the vehicle. The firearm and ammunition were stolen from a residential break and enter that occurred in 2012. As a result, Timothy Lind Carter (50 yrs) from Sylvan Lake, Alberta, has been charged with 10 offences under the Criminal Code and one offence under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (CDSA):
- Possession of a restricted weapon obtained by an offence – One (1) count
- Possession of a dangerous weapon – One (1) count
- Possession of a firearm while unauthorized / no licence – One (1) count
- Careless storage of a firearm – One (1) count
- Unauthorized possession of a firearm/ammunition in a motor vehicle – One (1) count
- Unauthorized possession of a firearm together with ammunition in a motor vehicle – One (1) count
- Breach of conditions – Four (4) counts
- Possession of a Controlled Substance – One (1) count under the CDSA.
Carter was remanded in custody with his next court appearance scheduled for January 10, 2018, in Red Deer Provincial Court.
If you have information about this incident, please contact the Lacombe Police Service at 403-782-3279. If you want to remain anonymous, you can contact Crime Stoppers by phone at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS) or by internet at www.tipsubmit.com.